Monday 27 August 2012

My Meeting With Dave Fleischer

After Walt Disney died, a special tribute evening was held and the
pioneers of animation attended. I was able to meet the earliest
pioneers like John Randolph Bray, Otto Messmer and Paul Terry. Ub
Iwerks. Walter Lantz and others of Disney's contemporaries were among
the many others there. The Fleischers were represented by Dave
Fleischer.

The next day I visited him in his hotel room and we talked about Betty
Boop, Popeye, the two Fleischer feature cartoons and other films. He
had invented the rotoscope for silent Koko the Clown cartoons and he
made a drawing of the system and also did some drawings of Popeye and
others as well for me. He was a very pleasant and kind man, it seemed
to me, and he still kept his hand in. He had just finished animating
some special effects for the Julie Andrews musical feature THOROUGHLY
MODERN MILLIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment